Spring is here, the suns shining, there’s bees back buzzing in the air and blossom in the trees! During this time of transition between the seasons it can be easy to feel a bit out of shape and heavy as our energy levels adjust from winter slump. But today the clocks have changed so it’s time to get moving and get prepping for summer with a boost! Here are my top 5 energy boosting yoga poses to slip into your morning routine to leave you feeling great and ready to move!
Energising Yoga Poses:
- Cat/Cow (Marjaryasana / Bitilasana): On all fours; knees are under the hips and hands under the shoulders. As you breathe in shine your seat bones back and your chest forwards and up to the ceiling, gaze goes up. Maintain a slight lift of the belly button into spine. As you exhale roll through the spine pressing into the floor and lifting the middle back to the ceiling, gaze down. Keep rolling through this with slow breath’s 5 times trying to keep movements as smooth as possible.
- Wheel (Urdva Dhanurasana): On your back, soles of the feet to the earth feet hip with apart. As you breathe in roll through the spine to float the hips to the sky. Either stay here in Bridge, or bring the hands under the shoulders fingers facing the feet and press into the hands to extend the arms. In either version focus on lengthening the chest away from the knees to find length in the spine. Slowly roll down. Repeat 3 times.
- Shoulder Stand (Sarvangasana): On your back take your feet to the sky above the hips. Either stay here in the restorative version or float the hips and feet above the shoulders bringing the hands to the lower back for support. Hold here pressing the shoulders and upper arms into the ground and energising up to the toes. Keep your gaze between your feet and space between the chin and chest to steady the breath. Hold for 30 seconds.
- Upward Facing Dog (Urdhvamukha Shvanasana): On your stomach place the hands under the shoulders, chin to the ground. Press into the hands, extending the arms and then slide your hips forward to come between the hands. Keep the core toned drawing your belly button into spine, extend the legs back behind you. Press the floor away with your hands and your toes, thighs, hips and belly should lift off the floor and lengthen the neck. Hold for 5 breaths.
- Warrior 2 (Virabhadrasana): Step your right leg forward into a deep lunge, right toes pointing forwards. Take a deep bend into the front leg, but keep the knee over the foot. The left leg should be extended back straight, heel down on the ground toes pointing out to the left 45 degrees. Hips are square to the left, synch in the waist to grow tall, extending the right arm forwards, left arm back. Take the gaze over your front middle fingers. Hold for 5 breaths, then switch to the other leg.
If you want a little more… add some more heart opening poses and back bend variations. Opening the heart space kick starts the nervous system to help you wake up and have a little more oomph in your energy!
Give them a go and let me know how you get on, hope to see you in class!